The Kwara State government has condemned attempts by some fifth columnists to foment trouble in parts of Ilorin metropolis, the State capital.
A statement by the spokesman of the governor, Rafiu Ajakaye, on Monday night in Ilorin, warned that “the government will never condone this reckless behaviour.”
It said the security agencies have been instructed “to deal ruthlessly with anyone who attacks fellow citizens, or makes any attempts on sacred places, or properties under whatever disguise.”
It was reported that the government’s warning followed the violent attacks on some schools and worship centres at Sabo Oke and some other areas of the state capital on Monday, as the rage over the controversial hijab issue continued.
Security agencies comprising the police, civil defence corps and the army were deployed to restore order in the affected areas.
“The attempt is devilish and was clearly meant to undermine the progress so far made to build peace and harmony,” the statement added.
The state government urged parents to call their children to order immediately, as anyone found fomenting trouble would have themselves to blame.
It said the ongoing dialogue with various stakeholders will continue unhindered, urging leaders on all sides to continue to play their roles as statesmen without allowing any fifth columnists to provoke them or derail the peace efforts.
The statement commended leaders of various religious bodies for their understanding and leadership over the last few days.